I have been in love with pizza since I was little and as most of you know, if you are into bodybuilding, fitness, training for sports, or just want to live a healthier lifestyle, pizza is definitely not an option on the menu in most cases. So I began to search for low a calorie, low carb, or just healthy pizza recipes in general and after attempting to try several different recipes, this is the one that has turned out the best! I like it because you can add any type of toppings you want to fit your macros because of the cauliflower crust which helps keep the calories and carbs lower than they normally would be.
Depending on how thin you make the crust, this recipe will make a 10 to 12-inch pizza.
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 18-20 min
So lets start with the CRUST:
- 1/2 Large head of cauliflower (I use 4-5 cups of shredded cauliflower as I like a thick crust)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely shredded cheese of choice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
Now for the TOPPINGS:
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices Canadian bacon, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
Optional: I have used several different ingredients such as olives, peppers, mushrooms, turkey sausage & pepperoni, or even low fat cheese. This part is strictly up to you but for this recipe and nutritional facts, the toppings listed above are accounted for.
- Shred the cauliflower into small pieces; You can use a food processor but be careful to not over do it and make a paste-like mixture. You'll need a total of about 2 cups or so of cauliflower pieces (which is about half a large head of cauliflower. Place the cauliflower pieces in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes and let the cauliflower cool off.
- Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, mix the cauliflower pieces with the remaining crust ingredients. Pat the "crust" into a 10 to 12-inch round on the prepared pan. Spray the crust lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 15 minutes (or until golden). Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to broil.
Prepare the pizza: Spread the sauce on top of the baked crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top. Add the bacon and pineapple (or toppings of your choice), spreading it out around the pizza. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Broil the pizza 3 to 4 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately and enjoy the GAINS!!
Nutritional Information per serving FOR THE WHOLE PIZZA- per slice:
Serving size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 4.1g
Nutritional info per serving for JUST THE CRUST- per slice (if you want to do your own toppings):
Serving Size: 1 slice (pizza cut into 6 slices)
Calories: 84 Fat 4.3g, Sat Fat 2.6g, Cholesterol 40.8mg, Sodium 166mg, Carbohydrates 4.6g, Fiber 1.9g, Sugar 0g, Protein 7.1g
Thanks for reading & I hope you enjoy the recipe!! Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have!
Connect with us on social media!
Thanks for reading.
NutriFit is a locally and privately owned nutritional supplement retail company specializing in high-quality products, competitive pricing, nutritional information and excellent customer service.